As the owner of a walking group in the fitness app, you may want to transfer ownership to another member of the group at some point. Maybe you no longer have time to manage the group, or perhaps you want to pass the baton to someone else to take over leadership. Whatever the reason, transferring group ownership is a simple process that can be done within the app.
To appoint a new owner for your group, you should follow these steps:
- Go to Group Details, tap “Manage”
- Tap “Member Management”
- Find the member that you want to appoint the new group owner, tap the three dots “...” near their name.
- Tap “Transfer Ownership”
- Check “Confirm group ownership transfer” and Tap “Confirm”
Once you complete these steps, the selected group member will become the new owner of the walking group. They will have the same privileges and responsibilities as the previous owner, including the ability to manage group settings, group members, create and manage challenges, etc.
Please double-check before confirmation as the process cannot be undone. Once confirmed, you will lose your group owner privileges and become a normal group member.
Automatic Transfer Of Inactive Group Owner
It is important for group owners to be active and engaged in order to keep the group running smoothly. When a group owner becomes inactive for an extended period, Pacer may start the automatic group transfer process to appoint a new group owner, so that the group can stay in normal operation.
Automatic group transfer process:
- When a group owner becomes inactive for more than 30 days (i.e. The group owner didn’t synchronize their fitness activity in Pacer for more than 30 days), they will receive an email and push notification.
- Upon receiving the notification, the group owner has 7 days to return to Pacer and continue managing their group.
- If the group owner didn’t return after 30 days, a new group owner will be selected based on the following criteria:
- If the group has group admins, the first active admin who joined the group will be automatically selected as the new group owner*.
- If the group does not have admins who meet the criteria, the group owner role will be open to all group members. Group members* can tap the “Claim Group Ownership” on the Group Detail page to claim the group ownership.
- If no one claims the group after 30 days, the group will be archived.
*Note: to become a group owner, the user must be the owner of fewer than 6 groups.
This process is in place to ensure that the group remains active and that there is always a leader who is able to manage the group, group contents, group members, and challenges. If you are the owner of a group and know that you will be inactive for an extended period of time, we recommend transferring ownership to another active member before you become inactive.
If you are a member of a group and the ownership is transferred to you due to the previous owner's inactivity, you will have the same privileges and responsibilities as the previous owner, including the ability to manage group settings, group members, create and manage challenges, etc.
Appoint Group Admins
As the owner of a walking group in the fitness app, you may want to delegate some of the responsibilities of managing the group to other members. By picking up to 5 group admins, you can share the workload and ensure that the group continues to run smoothly even when you are unavailable. Here's how to pick group admins:
- Navigate to the group that you want to pick group admins for.
- Tap on the "Manage" button. Select “Member Management”
- Scroll down to the "Group Members" section and tap on the “...” besides the member who you want to make a group admin.
- Tap on the "Make Admin" button.
- Repeat this process for any additional members that you want to make group admins. You can pick up to 5 group admins in total.
Once you have picked your group admins, they will have additional privileges within the group, including the ability to manage group info, manage group members, manage posts/comments, post announcements, create and manage challenges.
For a detailed comparison of Group Owner and Group Admin Privileges, please see the chart below:
|Transfer Group Ownership
|Manage Group Admins
|Change Group Code
|Manage Group Info & Other Settings
|Manage Group Members
|Send Group Announcements