Apple Health & Pacer iOS Notes
Pacer iOS can sync with Apple Health, and by extension wearables that can sync to Apple Health like an iWatch. Therefore, participants will need to first sync a wearable device’s steps with Apple Health, and then sync Pacer with Apple Health. Data will then flow from the iWatch to Apple Health to Pacer.
Apple Health pulls data from the same internal hardware as Pacer, so the step counts should be similar. Why similar and not identical? Any data input into Health undergoes a merging process with all other data sources - phone/wearable/manual entry - to produce a final result that is not the sum of all those data sources. Apple has not publicly released details into Health’s algorithm counting methods, so there could be small disparities, either more or less than the expected tally.
If participants do not want data sources influenced by Apple Health’s counting method, they can simply not sync Pacer to Apple Health and rely on their phones to track fitness activity. Participants can manage changes in the Pacer app’s Settings menu.
Sync Pacer with Apple Health
- Tap the Me menu button in the bottom left corner.
- On the next screen, tap the Settings gear icon in the top right corner.
- Scroll down to the Data & Syncing Menu, and choose Apple Health.
- Tap the red Activate Activity Syncing button.
- Do not close Pacer during the syncing process.
- Tap Restart Now and restart your Pacer app.
- All of your historical data should now be synced with Apple Health. All future data will automatically sync.
Allow Pacer to Read & Write data in Apple Privacy/Apple Health Settings
Participants should also ensure their Apple Privacy Settings are allowing Pacer to read and write data.
- Open the Settings app.
- Scroll down and access the Privacy menu.
- Scroll down and tap Health.
- If you allowed Pacer to request your Apple Health data, you should see the Pacer icon here. Tap Pacer, and ensure you allow Pacer to both read and write all the data by tapping the buttons.
Disconnect Pacer from Apple Health
If at any time you’d like to solely rely on the Pacer app to track your activity, simply follow Apple Health Syncing Steps 1-3 above, and tap the red Deactivate Activity Syncing button.
Re-sync Pacer with Apple Health
If you are experiencing fitness data accuracy between Apple Health and Pacer, do the following:
- Access the Apple Health app on your phone.
- Find and access the Sources menu tab on the bottom part of the screen.
- You should see the Pacer app under Apps. Tap Pacer to access the permission page.
- Remember, Pacer needs read AND write permission for the data types listed at the top of this FAQ.
If the above steps are not producing similar step totals between iWatch and Pacer, try a force reset on your iPhone. If that does not work, please contact our support team via the Pacer Feedback portal.